[Sussex] USB Flash Drive

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 23:35:30 UTC 2005

John Thompson wrote:

> -----%<-----
>
> While I'm here, one more question:-
>
> The screen seems a bit slow to update - for example, if I drag a
> window it leaves a trail of "edges" behind - they almost instantly
> dissapear though. Also does this on text etc. when I scroll using the
> wheelmouse.
>
> Running Suse 9.3 with NVidia card. Yast says it's all OK - evens
> reckons 3D is working! Dual-boot system (W2000 - all OK on windows).
>
> /-----%<-----

When I had SuSE 9.3 installed (yes, with the nvidia driver which can be
installed through YaST directly rather than having to use the nvidia
installer), I was meddling with some of the other bits and bobs that
KDE/X can do now i.e. Shadows and translucency.

This was pretty damn good eye candy, but it made all the screen
re-drawing vvv slow/jerky (not beef :) ). The 3D acceleration was all
switched on etc. The cursor even took forever to move across the screen.

So could it be something like one or more of the extra/new/additional
things switched on ???

In my case, I suspect that those sort of visual effects use lots of
graphics memory, and as my card (rather elderly generic NV17/Geforce 4
MX420) only carries 64 (megs or K - I don't recall all that technical
stuff) of ram, I was suspecting that that might have had something to do
with it. Because as soon as I switched off the shadowing and
translucency (and commented the line in the xorg.conf) it was back to
it's usual quick norm.

Probably wrong. don't know, it's all I could think of.

regards

John D.