[Sussex] Is downloadable video a Podcast?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Oct 25 02:15:47 UTC 2005

Hi all

A while ago Nik said:
   Anyway ... im not sure the video content could be categorised as
   Podcast
     http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2005-October/010881.html
and I others have endorsed that view.  I had no evidence to support my
position -- until now!  :-)

In this week's TWiT (No. 27 from http://thisweekintech.com/) Leo Laporte,
the presenter, says that TikkiBar "was the number one podcast because
it was video" (at about 54 mins into the show).  This show is worth
listening to, BTW, if you want to listen to Larry Lessig on Creative
Commons and the issues around the creative process in the digital world
and how the law impacts that.

One of the point that I had never considered is that the way computers
work changes the way the law effects our lives.  For example if you read
a book that does not invoke Copyright law -- the publisher got a license
from the author to produce the copy you are holding.  But when you surf
a website the computer downloads a copy from the remote machine, as a
new copy is made Copyright law just kicked in.

On the show he point was made that (in the '20s in America - I don't know
when things changed over here) the law was changed so Copyright when from
being an opt in default to automatically applying.  This e-mail is copyrighted
to me.  I don't have to do anything for the law to give me ownership of it,
you need a license from me (and every other copyright holder) before you
take a copy -- but you already have a copy taken a copy.

Now, don't worry, I have no intention to sue - trust me (but Mark or Nik or
Geoff might over the copies you've taken of there e-mails).  BTW I am not
giving you a license by saying this, I am just saying that you won't be
hearing from my lawyers.

The point of this is that we are now all law breakers.  Technology and the
ways the laws are written have made us so.  There is nothing we can do
about it - to operate in the modern world requires that you work a certain
way - and the law makes that way illegal.

Just my ramblings thoughts late in the night.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #19: If you're interested in building packages from source, you
should consider installing the apt-src package.