[Sussex] Heres a Question. not linux but open source related.

nik butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Tue Oct 25 08:23:57 UTC 2005

I own a SKY+ Digibox ( the Pace version ) Up until September of this
Year it was working real well and no problems. Then Sky sent it its
Update and suddenly some key Features . Live Pause, Instand Rewind and
Recording are proving to be barely functional. I should say they work,
then dont, then do ... then dont and its quite random.

Anyway speaking with Sky they agree the software upgrade caused an issue
in some customers boxes but dont agree its worth a refund on
subscription since your subscription does not cover the features just
the channels being available.

Now I am thinking that I did not agree to the  EULA for this update and
whilst I agree to the Upgrades by virtue of the contract requiring the
phone line to be plugged in. I wonder if this is not a case of Computer
Vandalism , in some form ? Since my box was operational until they sent
it the patch at which point it broke.

Sky have confirmed a patch is available but wont commit to the roll out
date or when I might recieve it.

There is a lot of talk about how complex a system it is and how tough
the code is to debug. At this I wonder why not just Open the Source code
for the box to the MyTHTV community since they might  benefit from fresh
eyes with wider experience of issues. There seems to me a good case for
this Code to be Open as its availability would not remove Skys income
potential. but thats another thread..

So heres the Questions

1 ] Is any one familiar with precedent or case ( in the UK ) where a
Company has been found guilty of releasing software or an update which
damages a consumer components functionality.

2] Should Sky realease the code ?

Nik