[Sussex] DVD drive and Kaffine question

John Thompson jdthompson at themutual.net
Tue Oct 25 16:49:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have just added a DVD drive to my machine (in addition to the existing
CD R-W drive).

The CD drive was on the second IDE channel as Master (two hard drives on
the first). The new DVD is now Master with the existing CD drive as
Slave on the second channel.

_First problem:-_
If I open "My Computer" I only see the DVD drive, not the CD. Suse
"knows" the CD is there 'cause I can see it in /media/.

As root I did a hardware probe and both drives are listed as follows:-

<7>Probing IDE interface ide1...
   <4>hdc: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8586, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
   <4>hdd: SONY CD-RW CRX225E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

although the Sony is actually CD only - and...

/dev/cd/by-id/MATSHITADVD-ROM_SR-8586
     Drivers=VIA_IDE|ide-cdrom
     SysfsID=/block/hdc
     SysfsBusID=1.0
     SysfsLink=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.1/ide1/1.0
     HWClassList=00008000040001
     Features=0x30
     Res.Size=3,0,512

and...

/dev/cd/by-id/SONY_CD-RW_CRX225E
     Drivers=VIA_IDE|ide-cdrom
     SysfsID=/block/hdd
     SysfsBusID=1.1
     SysfsLink=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.1/ide1/1.1
     HWClassList=00008000040001
     Features=0x30
     Res.Size=3,0,512

A bit worried that the DVD is listed as "/dev/cd/" should it be
"/dev/dvd" ? Also that CD is now not accessable.

You experts will probably tell me to open up a file and edit something -
in which case - fire away!

_Second problem:-_
Trying to play a DVD in Kaffine. Get message:-

"This version of Xine (used by Kaffeine) has only a reduced
set of supported codecs. It is not able to play DVDs."

Went to the SUSE online update. Didn't mean to, but updated everything!
Took about 4 hours! (BTW:- Nvidia driver now 100% and lots of new
interesting applications in the Kmenu) but still same Xine message.
Could be due to installation of the DVD?

Could you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

John