[Sussex] Postgresql date fields

G.J. Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Thu Oct 27 10:47:32 UTC 2005

"Brendan Whelan" <b_whelan at mistral.co.uk> writes:

> Ronan wrote:
>>Anyone know the SQL syntax for checking to see if a date field in
>>postgres is empty?  Having a bit of a dunce day and can't work it out,
>>despite RTFMing!!!
>
>>Any postgresers out there?
>
> I use MySQL and the syntax would be
> select * from my_table where my_field = ""
>
> Hope this helps, Brendan

*Arrrrrgh* Spider sense (or rather computer science sense) is
 tingling.  This is _soooooo_ wrong.  The unset state on any field
 should be checked against NULL.  You should only check against empty
 string if you;re checking for a CHAR type that has explicitly set to
 "".  I hope it isn't MySQL forcing you down that route.

So:

SELECT * FROM your_table WHERE your_field IS NULL

--
G. J. Teale Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7776 195 211
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.