[Sussex] A-life resources

Alan Delaney hairy.one at virgin.net
Sat Sep 3 22:45:07 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've got a small a-life program that I'm trying to add some
sophistication to.  What the program does is accept basic input
parameters of the initial size of a colony, the size of the map, etc and
runs until the colony dies out.  The program then returns the overall
lifetime of the colony.  What I want to do is write a bash script that
invokes the program and puts the result into a (text?) file that can
then be read and interpreted by a PHP script that displays the result on
a web-server.  I'm also considering allowing the PHP script to alter the
input parameters essentially giving the program a web interface and
using a MySQL database to collate the results but these are rather
advanced ideas and I want to keep it as simple as possible for now.

What I need help on is finding if there are any similar projects (GPL or
compatible obviously) that I could borrow code from rather than have to
build this whole set-up from scratch.  I've been looking around Google
on and off for some weeks now and haven't found anything interesting.
Pretty much all of the AI/A-life sites I've found are either more
complex than I need or are defunct.  Anybody have any ideas on this?

--
Alan Delaney

Registered Linux user: 388693.
Registered Linux machines: 289172, 289173, 296291, 296293, 296294,
   296869. (counter.li.org)
Geek score: 34.714% - Total Geek (www.innergeek.us)
Hacker key:
   v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6g5+3RHaIr9
   (www.hackerkey.com)