[Sussex] Laptop choice

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Tue Sep 6 13:56:56 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> The only niggle I have so far is that the i810 X
> driver for the Intel i915Gm doesn't work properly - the screen blanks
> when you start X, even though things are happening (I can hear sound
> effects, etc, for example when GDM loads in Ubuntu, there's a rather
> nice drumming noise!!).  Had to fall back to using X's generic vesa
> driver which works fine, but is a little slow for graphic intensive
> stuff.

I had a similar problem with my laptop - I discovered that X had got the
screen res wrong. If I typed a <Ctrl><Keypad +> a few times it would cycle
through the configured settings. Hand editing the Xconfig file fixed it
permanently.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

A door is what a cat is perpetually on the wrong side of. - adapted from
Ogden Nash