[Sussex] The Remix Scene

Frances Fleming fay at uthink.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 19:58:57 UTC 2005

Some of you may remember that Steve and I and a couple of friends
traveled down to Bristol recently for the first ever Fave event. Which
was great and well worth attending. One of the speakers was from Reading
Remix, another was from Plugincinema.com and another was from a BBC
streaming project.

You can learn a little about them here:
http://www.fave.org.uk/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=13&Itemid=27

Well, on the BBC News front page today was a link to "BBC opens TV
archive to remixers":
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4225914.stm

and on that page are a whole lot of links to other related articles.
Each of which adds some aspect to exploring the remix (or re-mix) scene.

BBC opens TV archive to remixers  - Almost 100 clips: animals/landscapes/art
Citizens do media for themselves  - Most doing it for themselves or family
Digital Citizens: The activist  - co-wrote award-winning story: Jury Service
'Amateur culture' set to explode  - Many professional creators don't get it
Developers to play with BBC wares - backstage.bbc.co.uk: create new contexts
Online archive moves step closer  - launch of BBC's Creative Archive Licence
BBC launches online clips archive - for non-commercial use, keep forever

and many more such.

Hope this interests you and maybe inspires you to do something creative.

I'm planning to create a little talk and presentation on the subject,
covering some of the activities available and using some of the BBC
photos and movie clips to perform a 5-minute live edit. I would be
looking to tour it round local groups, for instance we have some who
meet in the local library and parish halls. It would also be good to
take to schools in the area. I have a couple of contacts. This would be
maybe some time in November/December when I've finished my current
project (the Open Office presentations).

Fay

P.S. Spot the article on the $20,000 Star Wars film we watched the other
month!