[Sussex] CentOS impressions & RPM mysteries

Pybe squalidstuff at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:39:53 UTC 2005

On 9/13/05, Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:02:45 +0100
> Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Pybe wrote:
> > > Fedora uses an installer/updater similar to apt called yum this
> > > works with RPM if your os has compatible repositories. Which from a
> > > quick look CentOS uses
> > > http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=8 open a shell
> > > and type yum --help very similar to apt. yum install foo, yum
> > > update/upgrade etc.
> >
> > Or you could install APT on the CentOS system. Check out dag's
> > repository at http://dag.wieers.com/apt/
>
> Thanks to both of you for your help.
>
> CentOS is my first serious look at a distro using RPM & I have the
> luxury of being able to learn it without it being critical - I have
> three distros on two PCs (Ubuntu & Debian being the others).
>
> Yum installed by default, I think, but apt could be useful if there is
> something I want before I have mastered yum or rpm.

I have used apt for rpm in the past with mixed results it was certainly
quicker than the earlier versions of yum but i think they have fixed the
speed issue since. Definatley dont use yum and apt together, I have done
that twice and both times ended up re-installing. Yum is really easy to use
(very similar to apt - yum install app or yum update) I would recommend
using yum straight off as CentOS chose it for a reason.
 HTH
Pybe