[Sussex] Slow runnings...

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 16:05:14 UTC 2005

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed IceCast onto my server at home and it now seems
> to be running like a very heavy object with no legs.
>
> I'm not too sure where to go from here or how to investigate memory
> leakage, but I've tried running
>
> #top
>
> and it told me that MySQL was hogging the most CPU, so then I did
>
> # ps ax
>
> and I seem to be running about 100 occurrances of Apache2.  I've altered
> my apache config so it doesn't spawn as many servers (reduced it from
> 150 to 50) and then rebooted the entire box.

Hmm, 150 children started in Apache?!

This sounds like either you've got something broken running (any custom
PHP scripts that could be running away with the system?) or you've got
hardware issues, or you've been 0wn3d. Is the system connected to the
internet? Have you tried running chkrootkit?
(google.com/search?q=chkrootkit) - DO NOT INSTALL IT FROM YOUR DISTRO'S
PACKAGING SYSTEM!

Have you considered buying a new machine? ;)

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
 Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169