[Sussex] I've got Flash now I want to watch movie clips

Trevor Marshall trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 17 12:57:01 UTC 2005

Frances Fleming wrote:
> On Wed Sep 14 22:18:05 BST 2005, Trevor Marshall wrote:

<snipped>

> Thank you VERY VERY much, Trevor :-) detailed instructions are just what
> I need still :-)
> I followed them to the letter and it all did exactly as described above.
> I was very impressed. The realplayer version number is 10.0.5.756-20050514

Good, I'm glad that bit worked - it's been a while since I did the
installation on my system.

> Now I'm looking for a sample movie clip to test it out.
>
> I went back to the BBC news site (http://news.bbc.co.uk) but it seems
> they want something else, as the popup player screen had three jigsaw
> shaped icons and the message:
> "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page."
>
> I suppose my download did include all the bits - fonts and codecs and all?

It should be all you need, but see below...

> Anyway, when I click on the "Install Missing Plugins", Firefox comes up
> with a Plugin Finder Service box which lists Real Player 10.5 as
> available. This is a different version from the one I just downloaded.
>
> I click next twice and it says Real Player 10.5 Not Available and
> there's a "Manual Install" button next to it.
>
> Clicking this button takes me to an Internet page:
> http://uk.real.com/radiopass/
>
> But that page doesn't seem to have a download link in it. It just says
> "14 Day FREE Trial The basic RealPlayer is always yours to keep".
>
> Please may I beg some more help?

No problem.

I've had another look round my system, trying to remember what I had to
do, and I thought I'd look at Firefox's plugin information, and I found
some useful stuff on the mozilla plugins web site here:
<http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#RealPlayer>
which is what I seem to remember doing.

Hope that helps,

--