[Sussex] Lots of IDE drives...

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Sep 19 12:47:38 UTC 2005

Alan Pope wrote:
> On 19/09/05, Ronan Chilvers <ronan at thelittledot.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone done this and can recommend a good card?  Is an extra controller
>>card a good way to go?  Any more suggestions?  Cheap is good with this
>>one since I'm just playing around but I don't want to have to jump
>>through any hoops with the hardware.
>
> Don't neglect the PSU. Often the barrier isn't the number of channels,
> but the amount of current draw when you start the computer up as all
> the disks spin up at once. You may find that you get errors where the
> disks appear not to be recognised, when i fact this just that a
> symptom of having too-low a wattage PSU.

Boy that takes me back to when I could actually justify using a nice set
of SCSI drives for my own machines (and used them at work) - setting the
SCSI BOIS for which ones spun up on power on, and then waiting and
listening to them being spun up in turn. Sounded like you were getting
ready for take of :) I really wish SCSI drives weren't so expensive,
they really are much nicer than IDE :(

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/