[Sussex] Lots of IDE drives...

Martin Easton m4martin at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 19 21:15:41 UTC 2005

Hi Alan,

I have just bought an old Compaq industrial server to learn with.
It uses 4-SCSI drives in its array and the controller can deal
simultaneously with 28 Drives!! It can run in mirrored and striped
configurations. I believe it is RAID 0 and RAID 1, there is also RAID 0+1.
I think this takes two drives and uses half of their capacity striped
between the two drives, and then mirrors that configuration on the remaing
spare capacity. Bit confusing really. Seems to work well. I can hot-unplug
either drive, and it keeps going. RAID 5 it the thing to aim for, whatever
that does.

As far as I have seen with a desktop PC, the best manufacturer for RAID
cards is "PROMISE". Have a look and see what you can find. I am new to Linux
so have no idea what it can understand. I suspect almost anything!

Good Luck.

Martin