[Sussex] Lots of IDE drives...

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 08:05:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 22:14 +0100, Martin Easton wrote:

> As far as I have seen with a desktop PC, the best manufacturer for
> RAID
> cards is "PROMISE". Have a look and see what you can find. I am new to
> Linux
> so have no idea what it can understand. I suspect almost anything!

Promise got a good reputation about 2 years ago when the competition at
the low end of the market was basically "Promise vs. Highpoint OEM."

At the time, Highpoint produced the chipsets that every man and his dog
used in their "own brand value RAID" cards, which quickly acquired a
reputation for losing data left right and centre.

AIUI, the problems widely reported at the time proved to be with the
Windows drivers, not the underlying hardware.

Insert parable about why OpenSource drivers are basically a phenomenally
good idea here! :-)

Regards,

Mark