[Sussex] Devolo MicroLink dLAN - Wireless alternative

frances at pugwash.uthink.co.uk frances at pugwash.uthink.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 12:44:40 UTC 2005

This kit uses an existing mains power circuit to network two or more PCs
together, complete with DESpro encryption, if that's any good. Costs £100
for two though.

I thought this might be an alternative solution for my landlord to help
his daughter get connected to the Internet on her Mac OS X. We don't want
wireless, and at the moment I just strung my 50 metre LAN cable from the
ground floor to the attic floor. Her bedroom is situated semi-diagonally
two floors up in a large Victorian detached house, which has exceedingly
thick brick walls (some of you may remember me mentioning them before :-]
)

I thought it might be worth bringing to his notice, and also to new
neighbours in the next street. They've just moved in and the last owner
apparently had his PC in the attic, whereas they want them all downstairs.

Personally, I'm not interested in wireless, and at the moment all my PCs
are in one room, and I have my own broadband, so I wouldn't need this
device. But it makes me wonder, just academically, if you could have two
sets of these things on two different networks, in the same house.

http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=12698&cid=26

Review: http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=719