[Sussex] I've got Flash now I want to watch movie clips

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sat Sep 24 12:19:03 UTC 2005

Hi

On 2:00:11 pm 22/09/2005 frances at pugwash.uthink.co.uk wrote:
> I'm very grateful that you responded Chris :) but I need much more
> detail at this stage in my learning curve.

I think my central point is still that you don't and this should be working
without huge great emails about paths and things ;)

> It _didn't_ create menu entries for RealPlayer

In Gnome at least, the menus don't tend to update dynamically yet, even
though they are supposed to. I usually run "killall gnome-panel" after
changing them, the panel should immediately restart with the updated menus.
"RealPlayer 10" should be in Sound & Video.
However, if your distro is using different menu structures and Real has put
them in the wrong place you can still rectify the situation. Delete
realplayerrc from your home directory and just run "realplay" from a
terminal, it should present you with the wizard that configures mozilla
plugins.

> I _did_ run it for the first time (from the file manager though)
> It _didn't_ ask a few questions
> and it _didn't_ offer to install the browser plugin for me

Maybe it is doing something weird like only presenting the wizard on
distros it knows about, but I'd be surprised/disappointed if that is the
case. Mozilla/firefox plugin directories are always in the same places, so
it shouldn't need to care what distro it is on.

> worked fine, please could you tell me exactly what I _should_ have
> done, from the beginning?

Each time I've installed it I've done exactly this:
o download the .bin somewhere
o chmod +x it
o execute it as root (or with sudo if you are on ubuntu)
o tell the installer to install the player in /usr/local/RealPlayer
o tell the installer to create system-wide symlinks in /usr
o run Real Player 10 from the menus (restarting the panel if necessary)
o complete the wizard.

It really is supposed to be that easy these days :/

> you to walk me through installing it on Knoppix live CD 3.8, which

I haven't seen Knoppix, so I don't know what it's running to know what (if
anything) I'd do differently from the above list.

Cheers,
---
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net