[Sussex] Command line streaming audio players

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 10:37:38 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've got a streaming server setup on my network so I can listen to my
MP3/OGG collection all around the house.

I'm having an issue getting it to play on the lounge computer (the main
server itself).  The way I see it, I have two options:

1. Install a command-line player capable of playing MP3 and OGG files
2. Convert all the MP3s to OGGs

the first option appeals more because I don't know of any decent software
that will convert mp3s to oggs.  I've tried a few of the perl solutions,
but they all seem to stumble across my mp3 connection and do wierd things
like delete a file before it's been converted.

The issue with this is that I'm not aware of any command line players apart
from Mplayer that will handle Ogg and MP3 interchangeably.  Mplayer is
installed, and is refusing to play the playlist.

All help appreciated,

Matt

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace