[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 12:05:45 UTC 2005

Stephen Williams wrote:

> <snip>
>

>I'm just finishing off a new install on a new 120Gb HDD in my trusty
>Dell notebook. Kde-meta (347 odd packages) took 30 odd hours to compile,
>but did so without a single failure. It's a case of start the compile
>and leave till done. Despite the large number of USE flags (compile
>options to non-Gentoo users) and huge number of packages, there was only
>a single compile failure, in Gnome-vfs, and that was easily fixed.
>
>In addition, I've got everything that I want working. Lircd, mplayer,
>amarok, timidity, hal, dbus, ivman etc, and it all adds up to a great
>distro. Vote Gentoo I say!

</snip>
Steve,

Probably a stupid question, but seeing as how I installed as "stage 3 +
GRP", have you got any idea of how I check to make sure that I did in
fact, install the "split/meta" version of KDE, as opposed to the
monolithic version thats still available for 2005.1 ?

I only ask, as I did try to unmerge some of the odd bits that I'll never
use e.g. edutainment>languages>kiten but on the next "emerge -uD world"
it just re-installed them. I do suspect that theres a reason for that,
but for the life of me, I haven't managed to work out the "how's and why's".

regards

John D.