[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Sep 27 13:38:02 UTC 2005

Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:23:08AM -0400, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>
>>I've recently installed a variant of Debian (Damn Small Linux) onto my
>>laptop. I run Gentoo on my Server.
>
> [snip]
>
>>Here's a little example of how to install in Gentoo vs how to install in
>>Debian:
>

> You say you installed "Damn Small Linux" and then you compare it to
> Debian.  Maybe the problems such as lack of dependencies are down to
> DSL's failings not Debian's.
>
> I don't really understand why you obviously know that DSL isn't Debian
> and yet persist in labelling it Debian throughout your rant.
>
> If you want to bitch about Debian, why don't you at least install and
> test Debian first?

DSL states that it is a compact version of debian, based on Knoppix.  It
offers you the chance to use the debian sources.list (which I have
chosen to do) and it uses all the debian tools such as apt and dpkg.

In my experience, if it looks like debian, smells like debian and act
likes debian, then it's probably debian... :)

My opinion,

Matt