[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Sep 28 11:30:45 UTC 2005

Mark

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:12:15PM +0100, Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 11:25 +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> >
> > You are making things overly complicated. All you need to remember is:
> >
> > man apt
> >

> In this case, yes.
>
> I was trying to make a more general point. Is there, for example, a
> single "man command" that reminds me which of all the filesystem
> commands, or all the media processing commands?

Mark, I don't disagree with your orginal post, but Colin got there
first and said it better than I could.  I was trying to make the
point that more English type commands (yes, I know this is moving
away from the good old Unix type commands like ls, mv, tar,...)
are easier to remember than all those peskie flags - Now in which
command is compress -c and in which is -j or was it -z?!?!?

There are only two commands you need to remember:
  man -k <keyword>
  apt-cache search <keyword>

and believe me, I I use them lot.  Several times a day.

> I honestly don't know the answer!

See above - they are remarkablly able to find most things most of the
time.

You will pay for your sins.  If you have already paid, please disregard
this message.