[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 11:38:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:29 +0100, Steve Dobson wrote:

> There are only two commands you need to remember:
>   man -k <keyword>
>   apt-cache search <keyword>

Three, surely:

	man -k <keyword>
	apt-cache search <keyword>
	www.google.com :-)

I have to admit, even after 15 years of using Unixes, I still find man
-k and I don't get on. My problem is that I typically know three or four
different ways of putting the "concept" I'm looking for, and can never
remember which conceptual model is right for the system I'm using :-)

Hence my man -k tends to get very few results :-(

I guess if I were ONLY using Linux, then things would be somewhat
different.

Oh, and for package management, I use Synaptic anyway :-)

M.