[Sussex] SUBJECT INSERTED: DVB/MythTV Troubles.

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 11:47:11 UTC 2005

> Paul
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:40:59AM +0100, Paul Graydon wrote:
> > I think I'm going to go insane..
>
> You are - you forgot to put a subject in your posting - very bad!

Yeah.. My bad :-(  Sorry!

> > Linux version 2.6.13 (root at dvb) (gcc version 3.3.6) #3 SMP
> Tue Sep 27
>
> Is this an SMP kernel for a single processor machine?  Why?

I've got no idea.. Must have selected SMP on autopilot when setting up
the kernel.  The box I'm running it on is a Celeron-D, not a full p4 so
it doesn't have hyperthreading.  Meh.. Another change to make to the
kernel :D

> It looks like you are running udev?  You have got the /dev
> device mountted? I know it's a stupid question, but sometimes
> it is the little thinks that are missed.

Yup, I can plain as day see the very device neither scan nor myth seem
to be able to see.
I've run modprobe -r dvb_bt8xx and watched the device disappear from
/dev, and then ran modprobe dvb_bt8xx and watched it merrily re-appear.

An odd quirk I've just remembered, if I had both the essential bttv and
the dvb_bt8xx compiled as kernel modules, I have to specifically run
"modprobe dvb_bt8xx" to get it to register the DVB device.  Bttv gets
picked up on startup.  When I compile both in to the kernel, both
aknowledge the hardware happily.

> Have you tried Knoppmyth?  http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html
> Assuming that your hardware is supported by it then it would be a
> good way to find out what modules are loaded.
>
> Steve

I'm trying to avoid using knoppmyth, as its going to require recompiling
to add DVB support for mythtv to work. Booting off the CD, it seems to
see everything though, just like slackware does.

> In my efforts to get MythTV working I read you need to include I2C
> support, at least for my setup with a Hauppauge Win TVR-350 card. I
> don't see any I2C items in your kernel boot log or in your
> modules list.
> You may need to compile it into the kernel.
>
> Steve W.

Yeah.. I2C is used for the card to off-load its MPEG decoding to the
processor as I understand it.
I know its in the kernel config (can't swear if its as a module or
compiled in), but now you mention it I can't see it mentioned in that
dmesg either.

Paul G