[Sussex] Help - Firefox on Ubuntu

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 18:39:26 UTC 2005

This morning, the "update manager thingy" that appears on my Ubuntu
desktop told me that I had two packages that needed updating:

- mozilla-firefox
- mozilla-firefox-gnome-support

Sure enough, I clicked the "Install" button to update them.

This ran for a few minutes, then stopped with an error (that I didn't
make a note of at the time.)

Since then, firefox won't start.

Those two packages STILL appear in the update manager as in need of
updating. When I try to update them, I can now make a note of the error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mozilla-firefox_1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1_i386.deb:
trying to overwrite `/var/lib/mozilla-firefox/extensions.d/00classic',
which is also in package firefox
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mozilla-firefox-gnome-support_1.0.7-0ubuntu0.1_i386.deb:  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components/libmozgnome.so', which is also in package firefox-gnome-support

 of

and yes, the trailing "of" is the end of the error.

The only thing it will let me do is "OK". I can't REMOVE the packages
either, that gives the same error.

What do I do?

M.