[Sussex] Anyone into bondage?

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 07:56:47 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:55:23 +0100
> Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>Brendan Whelan wrote:
>>
>>>Jon,
>>>
>>>Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>>On the connectivity, I mean that if the cable is moved from eth0
>>>(Onboard NIC) to eth1 (Offboard NIC) then I cannot connect.
>>
>>Bonding won't work in this manner. You need to have a cable connected
>>to both interfaces for it to function correctly.
>

> Eh?  I have a bonded interface on an ubuntu machine here which works
> great and I can yank a cable from either interface and not lose
> connectivity.  Surely that's a big part of the advantage of bonding
> interfaces - redundancy????

Yeah, sorry, I didn't explain that very clearly. You'll need to start
both the interfaces in a connected state, for them to become a bonded
interface correctly. If you start with one down, i.e. only one active,
then pull the cable from this, you'll kill off the whole bonding system,
as there's no physical interfaces for it to route to.

Of course, the whole point of bonding is that you only need one NIC
connected at a time...

Jon (goes to get more coffee...)
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169