[Sussex] Laptop sound

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 12 23:20:04 UTC 2006

Colin & all,

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:08:41 +0000
Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> wrote:

> The *correct* way to fix this is to add the user in question to the
> group that owns the CD device.
>
> So, in /etc/group add your user name to the line for the group that
> owns /dev/cdrom, probably "audio". On my system that line now looks
> like..
>
> audio:x:29:colin

The relevant line in my /etc/group file is audio:*:29:gavin

Also: I can mount /cdrom as normal user if the CD is a data file, which
can include mp3 & ogg files. But I can only mount audio CDs as root.

It's such a long time since I dealt with this sort of problem in Debian
Woody that I have quite forgotten how to fix it.

Apart from this little problem, the old laptop is working very nicely.

Any help much appreciated.

TIA

Gavin.