[Sussex] Securing Mail Servers

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Apr 17 07:01:39 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 09:07:44PM +0100, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> I have a question.
> The spam that we receive does it come from improperly set up mailservers
> or/and from Windows machines which are riddled with trojans.

The vast majority fits into the latter category.

> One thing I am fairly certain on, it does not come from normal Linux boxes.
> What are the statistics on this point?

For some time I have been using p0f to work out the OS of every host
that makes a connection to port 25 of mail-in-01.lug.org.uk (i.e.
tries to send mail to any address at lug.org.uk).

Here are some stats for you:

Between Thu Apr  6 15:17:34 2006 and Mon Apr 17 06:54:05 2006 there
have been 150278 connection attempts.

121440 (~80.8%) of them were from Windows hosts.

In a ~48 hour period I bothered to check the OS of any spam I saw
that got through the antispam measures both at lug.org.uk and at
home, and 100% of them were from Windows hosts.

Because of the odds I am strongly considering devising a way to
check the OS and subject connections from Windows machines to
harsher antispam measures than I normally would.  e.g. greylisting,
dynamic IP DNSBLs, etc.

Unfortunately I do not have any means in place at this time to
automatically check emails marked as spam against the p0f log file.

A minority of spam is sent via insecure proxies or open relays on
otherwise legitimate mail servers (some of which will be unix).

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB