[Sussex] [offtopic] Video formats?

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Apr 30 16:50:37 UTC 2006

Andrew

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 17:13 +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
> I need to find out your views upon video formats.  Now what I am looking
> for is your object view upon the subject.  Could tell which video codac's
> you like using on what platforms you have used it on etc.
>
> I am trying to find an good video format which can early played back in
> Windows/Mac/Linux?  In other words something which make a small file,
> looks/sounds good, easy start up.
>
> So what is your views?

From a pracitcallity point of view take a look at MPEG4.  I produced a
little video in MPEG4 and in compresses quite well.  A 3.1Mbytes file
for 32s of 720x576 video (no sound) isn't to bad in my book.

You might also like to know that I produced the whole thing on Linux.
PoV-Ray was used to rend each frame and then mpalyer's encoder (mencode)
was used to encode it into MPEG4 format.  If you want to take a look you
can find it at:
   http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/video/dsv-flyby.mpeg4

The only think I don't like about MPEG4 for this kind of work is that it
is patent encombered.  If you want a "free" format then take a look at
OGG - but I don't know what the compression is like in that.