[Sussex] [offtopic] Video formats?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Apr 30 17:19:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 17:13 +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
> I need to find out your views upon video formats.  Now what I am looking
> for is your object view upon the subject.  Could tell which video codac's
> you like using on what platforms you have used it on etc.

HantsLUG have created videos of our talks given at meets. We aimed to
make the videos playable OOB (Out Of the Box) on as many platforms as
possible. This includes various Linux distros and Windows.

The net result is we have videos in ogg/vorbis which are playable OOB on
Linux, and the WMV ones are playable OOB on Windows. I understand that
using VLC on Mac they are also playable.

The FAQ [0] page on the HantsLUG wiki [1] might make useful reading.

Also worth a look is Tony Whitmores wiki [2] where he details [3]
exactly how the videos are made & what codecs and software is used.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Al.

[0]