[Sussex] The gimp and associated problems (under Kubuntu 6.06)

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Aug 6 11:27:34 UTC 2006

Hi list,

Trying to learn how to use the gimp properly (it's not very intuitive is it!).

So, I want to install some plugins for additional functionality, and have been
to the gimp registry to get as many plugins as are available for the gimp 2.2
that is installed by the Kubuntu.

Now, if the plugin is a script (with .scm file extension) I just copy it to
the scripts folder in my gimp profile - no problem. Likewise if the script is
perl or python (they go in the plugins folder).

My problem seems to be that I need to get the "gimptool". As the book
explains, it sometimes comes as a stand alone package, sometimes it's part of
the development package(s).

So if I try to libgimp2.0-dev, I'm getting this lot as a reply

"me at mypc:~$ sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
  libgimp2.0-dev: Depends: libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.4.4-1) but it is not going to
be installed
E: Broken packages
me at mypc:~$"

and correspondingly, I then get told this, when I try to install the
libgtk2.0-dev
"libgtk2.0-dev:
 Depends: libpango1.0-dev but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libcairo2-dev but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libxcursor-dev but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libxfixes-dev but it is not going to be installed".

I suspect that I'm being thick and am missing something here. As far as I
know, these packages are supposed to be in the repositories that I have got
set in my sources.list

could someone point me in the right direction to sort this out?

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and the problem is further exacerbated by the fact that although I've
installed the scripts into my gimp install, the other plugins for it have
arrived in the form of tar.gz and tar.bz2 files, and if I try to install them
(the plasma plugin for example), I can extract the file(s) and when I follow
the instructions in the README, go to the directory created by the extraction
of the tar.gz, and then run make install, I get about 3 pages of errors - the
earliest of which seem to refer to the installer looking for the gimptool.