[Sussex] Slugoppix Project Part 2: Web Site

Adam J Purcell adamjpurcell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 11:47:45 UTC 2006

On 8/4/06, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:46:40AM +0100, Fay Zee wrote:
> Alternatively if you want to have a separate identity then you could always
> request an extra site with lug.org.uk. slugoppix.lug.org.uk (or whatever)
> could be used, and you could also have a mailing list dedicated to slugoppix.
>
> Oh, and an irc channel #slugoppix.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I don't want to set things back at all but am I the only one that
finds the name 'slugoppix' slightly, er, repulsive?!  Call it what we
like internally but maybe something a little more approachable could
be considered for the official name?  Obviously 'SLUG' is what we all
tend to call the User Group (though we aren't the only group to use
that acronym, there's also Sydney, Sun Coast, Silverlake, St. John's,
Santa Cruz, Sarnia, etc. (at that's just on the first page of
google)).  I'm not sure your average BCF attendee will remember or
even immediately associate SLUG with us.

How about something like 'Sussex Linux'?  Something like that, avoid
jokey, avoid weird, avoid exclusive.  Something serious, you can
trust, inclusive, a Linux for all - especially locals as they know it
is made by people they can actually meet and talk to, not odd little
nerds who will just tell you to rtfm!

I dunno, just a thought.  Are they any marketting people in the
group?!  No, of course they all use Macs!

Adam