[Sussex] The gimp and associated problems (under Kubuntu 6.06)

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Aug 6 21:01:26 UTC 2006

On Sunday 06 August 2006 19:54, Steven Dobson wrote:
> John
>
> On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 12:27 +0100, John D. wrote:
> > Trying to learn how to use the gimp properly (it's not very intuitive is
> > it!).
> >
> > So, I want to install some plugins for additional functionality, and have
> > been to the gimp registry to get as many plugins as are available for the
> > gimp 2.2 that is installed by the Kubuntu.
> >
> > Now, if the plugin is a script (with .scm file extension) I just copy it
> > to the scripts folder in my gimp profile - no problem. Likewise if the
> > script is perl or python (they go in the plugins folder).
> >
> > My problem seems to be that I need to get the "gimptool". As the book
> > explains, it sometimes comes as a stand alone package, sometimes it's
> > part of the development package(s).
> >
> > So if I try to libgimp2.0-dev, I'm getting this lot as a reply
> >
> > "me at mypc:~$ sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree... Done
> > Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> > requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> > distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> > or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> I checked on my Debian "sid" system and that installed no problem, see
> below.  I also tried it on file save that is running "sarge" and it
> would have worked there too if I had let it.
>
> It might be that you have broken depenances in the /etc/apt/sources.list
> file.  If you've added other archives to install software not available
> in standard Kubuntu.  I suggest you strip the file back to just the
> supported archives and then do:
>
>    apt-get update
>    apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
>
> Steve
>
> Log of installation:
> -------------------
>
> # apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Suggested packages:
>   libgimp2.0-doc
>   libgimp2.0-dev
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 119kB of archives.
> After unpacking 987kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Get:1 ftp://mirror sid/main libgimp2.0-dev 2.2.12-1 [119kB]
> Fetched 119kB in 0s (257kB/s)
> Selecting previously deselected package libgimp2.0-dev.
> (Reading database ... 112064 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libgimp2.0-dev
> (from .../libgimp2.0-dev_2.2.12-1_amd64.deb) ...
> Setting up libgimp2.0-dev (2.2.12-1) ...
Thanks for the reply Steve,

And no, that didn't work either. I tried only having official repositories,
and then including some of the unofficial ones as well.

I still get the same errors i.e. that the libgimp depends on the libgtk which
depends on the ....................... etc etc.

Hence, still confused as hell.

regards

John D.