[Sussex] Microsoft Windows minimum system's

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Aug 7 08:09:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 01:50:56AM -0600, linux at oneandoneis2.org wrote:
> Plus it took an hour to install. . .

About the same time it takes to install Ubuntu, end to end, isn't it?
Although with Ubuntu (read: Linux) you generally get a load more
applications than you do with a base windows install.

> On that subject, does anybody know if the next Ubuntu release will
> have XGL on it? That'd be about the last feature that Vista has that
> Ubuntu doesn't. . .

I have XGL on Ubuntu Dapper here. Looks like Edgy will have AIGLX.

>From Mark Shuttleworths announcement about planning Edgy, back in April.

"So dream a little about Xen for virtualisation, Xgl/AIGLX and other
wonderful wobbly window bits, the goodness of Network Manager, a first
flirt with multiarch support for true mixed 32-bit and 64-bit computing
on AMD64, the interesting possibilities of the SMART package manager...
and other  pieces of infrastructure which have appeared tantalisingly
on the horizon."

Cheers,
Al.