[Sussex] Microsoft Windows minimum system's

linux at oneandoneis2.org linux at oneandoneis2.org
Mon Aug 7 10:45:27 UTC 2006

Quoting Steven Dobson <steve at dobson.org>:

> Hi
>
> For a fair comparision I would like to know how long it took from
> power-on until the software on the CD was installed.  Sure the system
> wasn't useable yet (esp if it had no network), but I think that would be
> a fair comparision to a base Debian install.

 From putting the DVD into a machine with a blank HD, to removing the
DVD and rebooting into the "base" Vista installation, it took 59
minutes.

Then I installed the drivers, downloaded the updates, installed
Firefox, turned off most of the new security features because they
were driving me nuts, and generally fiddled around for a few hours. . .

The only Ubuntu installation I've timed so far was one that came free
with a magazine and installed Ubuntu plus the KDE & XFCE packages,
without a network connection. That took half an hour - I believe a
normal Ubuntu install without the extra packages & without the delay
while it tried to establish a network connection would take me around
20 minutes, but I haven't timed it yet. .