[Sussex] The gimp and associated problems (under Kubuntu 6.06)

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Aug 7 20:32:38 UTC 2006

John

You replied just to me and not to the list.  As I didn't read anything
that didn't appear private I assume that was just a little PEBKAC error
at your end.

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 21:21 +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Sunday 06 August 2006 22:49, Steven Dobson wrote:
> > If might be then that the archive is out of date.  I see this with sid
> > (the development archive in Debian).  I can only suggest that you wait a
> > few days and try again.
> I'm wondering if there are specific repositories for the development stuff.

If Kbuntu follows "the Debian way" then no.  The repositories hold
software for different releases and the development "release" just never
gets released as it where.

> For example, the gimps "plasma" plugin. It's a tar.gz package, which when
> untarred, tells me (in the readme) that I should just have to cd to the
> plasma directory and do either make install or make install-user.
>
> the error that shows up, is very long, but the first lines seem to be looking
> for the gimptool bin file.

This appears to be more like downloading the source to compile the plug
in.  Are you doing an "apt-get build" by any chance?

> Now the gimptool appears to be in the development packages (the library is the
> only thing I can see listed).
>
> The libgimp2.0-dev is dependant on the libgtk2.0-dev - which isn't listed by
> synaptic, one libgtkgl2.0-dev is (but it seems to be dependant on the
> libgtk2.0-dev so I have to presume that they are 2 different packages).

They are in Debian.  I checked for you.  Why you are not seeing them in
the repository you're looking at I have no idea.

> So, not having the libgtk2.0-dev listed by synaptic, if I then try to install
> it via CLI it's erroring out with dependancies for libcairo, libpango and a
> couple of others (various number versions but all, seemingly, development
> packages).

Either they've broken the packages, or you're broken your source.list
and installed packages that have generated so bad dependancies on your
system.

> It may be that there is something within my system that is causing the
> package(s) to show as broken - or that there is a different repository that I
> need to have in my sources.list I've no way of telling.

See above.

> I don't think that this is a case of archives etc, being out of date Steve,
> I've been trying to do this for a couple of weeks without much joy.

Doesn't sound like it.  I think it is more something you've done.

> Plus, digging round "the bazaars" it seems that others have sorted this out. I
> wonder what I need to do/try next (having already tried removing various
> packages to see if they were the cause of the problems - different bits that
> seems to be gtk related).

Do an "apt-cache show" for those two packages.  If you get results back
then the packages are in a repository they you currently have
sources.list pointed at.  Then do an "apt-get --purge remove" to remove
those packages from your system and then try "apt-get install" to
install them from the archieve.  It may not be those packages but others
they depend upon that are the problem.