[Sussex] Google mail

Geoffrey J Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Tue Aug 8 11:37:05 UTC 2006

Jon Fautley wrote:

> Er, I personally think this would be a bad idea. If you're not too
> careful, the legal police will come from Google and eat your children.
>
> Remember, you can't pass another companies services off as your own
> without explicit permission - and that sound exactly like what you're
> doing when giving out gmail invites on 'behalf' of the SLUG.
>
> I'm sure our very own Mr. and Mrs. Teale will be able to tell us more -
> or flame me for talking crap ;)

The general point about passing off someone else's service as your own
is true - although I'm not convinced it applies here: what is being
suggested is not fraudulent.

However, there must be some terms and conditions you agree to when you
accept an invite to google mail.  A quick review of those should give
you a good idea of how google feel about such things.

I imagine (without having seen the terms/conditions) that google would
expect you to exercise a certain amount of caution with regard to whom
you invite to use the service.  My understanding is that invites are
designed to stop spammers, and other nefarious users gaining entry to
the system.

--
G. J. Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7914 850 491
E gteale at cmedresearch.com