[Sussex] The gimp and associated problems (under Kubuntu 6.06)

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Aug 8 16:48:34 UTC 2006

John

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 17:21 +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Monday 07 August 2006 21:32, Steven Dobson wrote:
> > Do an "apt-cache show" for those two packages.  If you get results back
> > then the packages are in a repository they you currently have
> > sources.list pointed at.  Then do an "apt-get --purge remove" to remove
> > those packages from your system and then try "apt-get install" to
> > install them from the archieve.  It may not be those packages but others
> > they depend upon that are the problem.
>
> Well, I did the things that you said above, and got lots of output about them
> i.e. they do indeed seem to be in the main Ubuntu repository (from output of
> apt-cache show).
>
> The purge command just said that I don't have them installed so it can't
> remove them - which is fine, I understand that.
>
> The attempt at install then just gives me the same errors i.e. it won't
> install and at the end of the error dialogue it just says E: broken packages,
> which I don't believe for a moment. libgimp and libgtk ? some minor,
> relatively unknown application, maybe, but gimp and gtk/gnome?
> I just can't see it.
>
> Bugger!
>
> Still absolutely stumped.

Okay if you haven't got libgtk2.0-dev & libgtk2.0-dev installed then
fine.  But the problem is probably with libpango1.0-dev, libcairo2-dev,
libxcursor-dev, or libxfixes-dev.  You said in an earlier e-mail thatapt
reported that these packages were "not going to be installed".

Use apt-cache show to see what each of those packages depend upon.  For
example, on Debian libxfixes-dev is at version 1:3.0.1.2-4 and depends
upon:
      libxfixes3 (= 1:3.0.1.2-4),
      libx11-dev,
      x11proto-fixes-dev

Note the version number next to libxfixes3.  This means that for
libxfixes-dev be installed version 1:3.0.1.2-4 (and only that version)
of libxfixes3 must be installed.  But if you have a later version of
that package installed, or maybe a package that conflicts then this will
cause the install to fail.  Apt-get requires special commands to force
an ealier version of package to be installed.