[Sussex] gtkpod doesn't like my mp3's

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Aug 8 22:38:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:05:17PM +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:43:13PM +0100, Paul Howard wrote:
> > I have started downloading podcasts using ipodder and for some reason some
> > of the mp3's it downloads don't have the standard .mp3 file extension. they
> > end up with a .mp3?podcast extension.
> >
> > This only happens to some podcasts. one example is the lugradio one. they
> > play fine on the PC but gtkpod doesn't like them and wont copy them to my
> > ipod. Once I rename the file to a standard .mp3 it works fine. Is this usual
> > or do I have something set wrong somewhere?
>
> Yeah, its very irritating... it seems to be down to the fact that the
> RSS feed that lugradio publishes has this as the enclosure:-
>
> <enclosure
> url="http://audio.lugradio.org/season3/ep24/lugradio-s03e24-220706-high.mp3?podcast"
> type="audio/mpeg" length="370" />
>
> which is annoying... don't know why they've done it like that...

It's been discussed heavily in the past on their forums. It's to do with the
way that they load balance their podcast over various donated webspace.

It doesn't happen in some podcast clients, but yes, it does in ipodder
(which I also use).

Lets hope it's fixed in Juice - the replacement for ipodder.

Cheers,
Al.