[Sussex] Firewall appliance recomendations

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri Aug 11 09:44:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:05:39AM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Ronan Chilvers wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at pfSense (based on OpenBSD I believe) at the moment to run
> > on it, but I would guess that linux would too - the hardware seems quite
> > similar to the soekris boards.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I've been using pfSense on an ancient PC (200MHx PII with 160Mb RAM) since
> the T-storm a couple of weeks ago fried my router.
>
> It works, it doesn't require too much in the way of hardware power. It is
> however still in the early days of development, it's at 1.0rc2 atm.
>
> There are a few rough edges but for my purposes, a home lan on a cable modem
> connection, it works well.

So that would be an ethernet connection from a cable modem into your
firewall machine?  I'll need to get an ADSL modem (looking at a
Linksys ADSL2MUE) to bridge the ADSL line to ethernet.  I'll need to do
PPPoE from the firewall to the modem which hopefully should be straightforward.

Just been looking at Voyage Linux which is interesting - debian sarge
based distribution for WRAP/soekris devices that can run off a CF card.
Looks like just the job.

At the moment I have a little toshiba laptop with IPcop on it and an
ADSL speedtouch USB modem, which works well, but takes up a good bit of
room.

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.