[Sussex] Firewall appliance recomendations

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Fri Aug 11 11:45:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:47:05AM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Ronan Chilvers wrote:
>
> > So that would be an ethernet connection from a cable modem into your
> > firewall machine?
>
> One of the nice things about pfSense is that it's runnable from the CD, so
> you could try it on your current hardware. Also if you put a blank floppy
> disk in the drive before booting then you will get the option to save your
> config to it. After that any reboot will read the config and if you do an
> install it also takes that config as a start point.

I like that a lot... I might give that a go to see what happens...
thanks for the tip...

> pfSense seems to support USB quite well, it might be worth asking on their
> support list if they support ADSL USB modems, possibly via a plug-in or
> package.

Fab! The speedtouch does work very well (its one of the old blue frogs!).  Its
very reliable, never drops connections and has been quite happy to step up
from 512K->1M->2M.  Its rated to go to 8M so I've got a little while to
go with it.  Having said that it used to be a bit of a pain to set up,
but certainly recent Linux distributions have made it increasingly
easier.

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.