[Sussex] A change of distro (yet again)

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Mon Aug 14 20:51:08 UTC 2006

Wotcha list,

Just thought I'd mention, that because I've recently had so many annoyances
with Kubuntu (6.06 - Dapper), I've installed Kanotix instead.

Which means a couple of things, firstly, I can "just get" the packages that I
was struggling so much with under the Kubuntu (libgimp2.0-dev and it's
dependency of libgtk2.0-dev), but it also means that I need to learn a fair
bit about how the world of debian goes.

Some of the things that "just happened" under various other distros (Gentoo
included), need some manual input to "correct" the config - of varying
different apps.

For instance, the main kde desktop. It all looks pretty similar to how it was
under the kubuntu and SuSE before that, but if I check the settings for the
display, it's telling me that it's set at 1024x768, which is weird because to
achieve the same look, I'd previously had it set (under the other distros) to
1600x1200 (Philips 201B 21" monitor).

Fonts are a little curious as well, inasfaras, the main gui stuff seems to
have to be set to a couple of sizes larger to be reasonably readable, yet it
would appear that I need to find out how/what needs to be changed for the
default console/terminal font, as well as a lot of the toolbar fonts
(differing apps), which are "piddly" - by default. The last time I ran
synaptic to do my updates etc, a couple of them needed some input via the
terminal in the bottom of the synaptic "installing" dialogue box - it was
completely unreadable and I managed to get by, by accepting whatever defaults
it may (or not) have offered.

I mean, it's not as if theres anything wrong with the distro "per se", it's
just that it's defaults seem to be set to an absolute minimum - and it seems
that it's not just the "proper" debian packages, but the kanotix"ised" ones
as well.

Still, I suppose if I can get used to Kubuntu, sudo and limited repositories
(along with a few other niggles), I can get used to an "almost" debian
derivative.

Links to any good debian sites, that aren't written in geek/nerd would be much
appreciated as I think that it's only manners to try and read up on as much
debian based stuff before I start peppering the list with a plethora of what
most of you probably consider dumb questions.

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and even the desktop fonts aren't as "crisp" as they have been under
other distros (despite using something from the msttcorefonts package) - why
that might be I can't even fathom.