[Sussex] A change of distro (yet again)

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Aug 14 22:52:58 UTC 2006

John

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 21:50 +0100, John D. wrote:
> For instance, the main kde desktop. It all looks pretty similar to how it was
> under the kubuntu and SuSE before that, but if I check the settings for the
> display, it's telling me that it's set at 1024x768, which is weird because to
> achieve the same look, I'd previously had it set (under the other distros) to
> 1600x1200 (Philips 201B 21" monitor).

This sounds like the video set up has not detected properly.  The most
likely source of this is that Kanotix hasn't got the video driver for
your graphics card and the system has fallen back to a workable minimum
setting.

First thing first can you send me the following output (off list)
  1). The output from "lspci -v"
  2). The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  3). The file /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> Fonts are a little curious as well, inasfaras, the main gui stuff seems to
> have to be set to a couple of sizes larger to be reasonably readable, yet it
> would appear that I need to find out how/what needs to be changed for the
> default console/terminal font, as well as a lot of the toolbar fonts
> (differing apps), which are "piddly" - by default. The last time I ran
> synaptic to do my updates etc, a couple of them needed some input via the
> terminal in the bottom of the synaptic "installing" dialogue box - it was
> completely unreadable and I managed to get by, by accepting whatever defaults
> it may (or not) have offered.

The way your fonts look on your display will be greatly effected by way
the system has configured your graphics card to work with your display.
I would suggest fixing the config above before we look at fonts.

> p.s. Oh and even the desktop fonts aren't as "crisp" as they have been under
> other distros (despite using something from the msttcorefonts package) - why
> that might be I can't even fathom.

Again this is most likely a side effect of your display not being
configured correctly.