[Sussex] DB9 to RJ45 - minicom?

Vic lug at beer.org.uk
Tue Aug 15 09:12:09 UTC 2006

> Anyone know how I go about using a DB9 to RJ45 cable with something like
> minicom?  Its a standard CISCO rollover cable (one of the blue flat ones)

You're off to a bad start, I'm afraid.

That's a standard serial cable. The RJ45 end plugs into the Cisco router,
which has a standard serial port wired to an RJ45 socket.

There are no magic ethernet-to-serial conversions going on there.

Your best bet for a laptop would be to get one of the USB-to-serial
adaptors. The FTDI ones (which are usually the cheap ones!) work very well
under LInux.

Vic.