[Sussex] Planets plan boosts tally to 12

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Wed Aug 16 23:12:25 UTC 2006

Andrew Guard wrote:
> Nik Butler wrote:
>> Andrew Guard wrote:
>>> And Pluto stays as a plan ;)
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4795755.stm
>> yes but clearly not big enough to be allowed a complete spelling.
>>

> Dying batters in keyboard.
>
> For ones on here who did know they are been a big debate about Pluto
> and is a planet.  Also they haven't change "minor planets" Ceres other
> "minor planets" .

Pluto is not, nor ever should be classified as a planet.  It is smaller
than some 'asteroids' and KBO's (Kuiper Belt Objects), 2003 UB313 and
Sedna for example.  I went to a very illuminating lecture on this at the
UK Astrofest this year, and Dan Green made a very convincing argument.
His explanation can be found here:
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/ps/icq/ICQPluto.html  Unfortuantly, he
hasn't included the graph he put up during the lecture which makes it
clear as day that Pluto cannot be a planet really, and I can't find it
elsewhere on the web.

So, in my opinion, it is a KBO...

Mind you - we all have to bow to the IAU in this matter, and they are
including other KBO's and large asteroids simply to justify Pluto's
position as a planet....

Nevermind, eh?