[Sussex] Debian and the nvidia driver!

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Aug 19 17:49:57 UTC 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 22:45, Steven Dobson wrote:
> John
<snip>
> Can you provide a URL to the nVidia driver that you've got?  I would
> like to see what the package is dependant on.

I'm presuming that you meant this:- http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and
it's the IA32 version 8762.

> nVidia (and ATI and Matrox) don't provide open source drivers so they
> have to be built for the appropate kernel.  If you have a package then
> someone has done the work, but it may not yet be built for the kernel
> you've installed.

No no, it's normally just a case that if there isn't a pre-built module for
the kernel version, you just have to download the driver version you want,
the "kernel-sources" file (which I understand is the same
as "kernel-headers") and then do

init 3

su to root

followed by "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run"

it then does it's usual i.e. you have to accept the T's & C's, it checks for
prebuilt module, if nothing found, you hit OK, then it asks you a couple of
Yes/No questions and builds the module and installs it for you - then only
thing then is to change the driver name in the Xorg.conf from "nv"
to "nvidia" and then restart the X server.

Problem is, is that it's erroring me out at the module build, with the error
that says

[quote]'/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build/include/linux/kernel.h is missing and
that I need to make sure that the kernel-sources package is installed and
correctly configured. [/quote]

Plus that the kernel source path to '/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build is
incorrect.

This has stumped me, because previously, I've just had to install the
kernel-sources and the driver will compile/build fine.

regards

John D.