[Sussex] Debian and the nvidia driver!

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Aug 20 19:25:52 UTC 2006

On Sunday 20 August 2006 18:19, Steven Dobson wrote:
<snip>
> Try doing a:
>    # dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> On my system I only use one locale "en_GB.ISO-8859-1" and my default is
> "none" - this might work for you.

Excellent, thats that part changed. Well I just changed all the selected ones
to nothing except the en_GB, the en_GB.ISO-8859-1 and the en_GB UTF8.

> You might also want to see what locale(1) reports:
>
>   $ locale
>   LANG=
>   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en_US:en_GB:en
>   LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
>   LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
>   LC_TIME="POSIX"
>   LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
>   LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
>   LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
>   LC_PAPER="POSIX"
>   LC_NAME="POSIX"
>   LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
>   LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
>   LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
>   LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
>   LC_ALL=

As you suspected, it seems that it's set to US judging from the output of
$locale. I had a look at the man/info pages for locale but they didn't say
anything on how to change it.

> Also look at the /etc/environment file.  My knowledge on the locale
> settings in Debian is a bit weak because I answered the questions
> correctly at install time and have never had to bother with them since.
> If you just hit return when you were asked about locale then in all
> likely hood you got a US configuration.

The /etc/environment file just had the one line of "LANG=C" so, as above.
Google here I come (again) :-)

regards

John D.