[Sussex] Problem starting mysql server daemon

Bob Williams linux at barrowhillfarm.org.uk
Tue Aug 22 20:36:58 UTC 2006

I've installed mysql server and client from the SuSE 10.1 installation
repository using YaST. The mysqld daemon doesn't appear to be running,
and the following command seems to stop it as soon as it starts.

bob at linux-bhf:/usr/bin> sudo mysqld_safe
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/linux-bhf.site.pid
060822 21:13:02  mysqld ended

I've tried reading the Reference manual at www.mysql.com but can't find
what I'm looking for.

Once I get the server daemon running, my next job is to set the
passwords with

mysql -u root

I'm only doing this so I can play with Bacula  :)

Help, please...
--
Bob

SuSE Linux 10.1, KDE 3.5.1