[Sussex] Problem starting mysql server daemon

Bob Williams linux at barrowhillfarm.org.uk
Wed Aug 23 19:35:29 UTC 2006

John Crowhurst wrote:
> On Tue, August 22, 2006 21:40, Bob Williams wrote:
>> I've installed mysql server and client from the SuSE 10.1 installation
>> repository using YaST. The mysqld daemon doesn't appear to be running,
>> and the following command seems to stop it as soon as it starts.
>>
>> bob at linux-bhf:/usr/bin> sudo mysqld_safe
>> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
>> STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/linux-bhf.site.pid
>> 060822 21:13:02  mysqld ended
>>
>> I've tried reading the Reference manual at www.mysql.com but can't find
>> what I'm looking for.
>
> Check the logfile to see what is going on (its probably in /var/lib/mysql
> as machinename.err).
>
> You may find you have the wrong permissions set on one of the directories
> (perhaps the mysql user cannot read or write)
>
> You may find that mysql is missing the basic mysql databases (such as
> host.frm) and you need to run the script to create them.
> (mysql_install_db)
>
> --
> John

Many thanks John. I was trying to get things started as root, initially,
so permissions shouldn't have been an issue. I tried mysql_install_db,
but the same problems remained.

As I said, my main interest was in getting going with bacula - or any
other good backup system - so I think I'll go back to the drawing board,
and play with mysql another day.

--
Bob

SuSE Linux 10.1, KDE 3.5.1