[Sussex] Additional "storage" ?

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Aug 27 14:54:05 UTC 2006

On Sunday 27 August 2006 15:23, Steven Dobson wrote:
> John
>
> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 12:24 +0100, John D. wrote:
> > Hum? well I was rather hoping that I wouldn't have to over complicate
> > things, when the main requirement is that I don't loose any "stuff" when
> > I get impatient.
>
> I know that impatient urge.  :-)
>
> Why not get yourself one of those USB2 PCI cards and install that.  They
> are less than £20 and then you can go for one of those nice USB2
> external disk drives.  That way when you're impatient to re-install you
> can just unmount (this stage is important) and then power down the drive
> and you data is nice and safe.
Steve,
As mentioned in the post to John Crowhurst and Dave Chapman, I'll have the
greatest options with the small desktop pc that Dave offered.

I don't have a spare PCI slot on my current PC, so I can probably put an
ethernet card into the one from Dave (if it doesn't already have one), and
plug it straight to the network hub. Which I suspect is infinitely preferable
to having to use USB 1.1 on my existing PC. Worst case scenario (for worst
case, read as slowest), I can just connect it directly USB to USB and do
backups from there - what with only having 4 USB sockets in the current
machine - I can always hotplug (or maybe go bin diving when I see a discarded
100 port ethernet switch/hub on the top of a skip :D ).

Ha! it feels like I might have to research the cost of small air conditioners
for my "office" anyway Steve - otherwise I end up chasing bits of paper etc
all round the house, which tends to result in a "sense of humour failure"
from Clare!

regards

John D.