[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Dec 1 22:00:42 UTC 2006

linux at oneandoneis2.org wrote:
> But I suppose in these days of Gnome & KDE, it makes less difference
> that it used to because many people don't use the command line at all.
> . .
>
> Dominic

Ah-ha! Not so sir...  If you spend all your day connecting to remote
machines the other side of the world where your only view is an SSH
connection, then Gnome and KDE don't really help much... Personally, I
use vi - have done since day one on a unix box, its installed by default
(in one guise or another) on every *nix I've ever seen - I was going to
write that Emacs isn't, but then I realised that I don't actually know
whether Emacs is or not!  The amount of machines I have to be able to
get onto and use immediately, there is no point trying to set them all
up to my needs - I have to mold to theirs.

The change thing is interesting though - because thats part of the
reason I still use doze as my desktop (familiarity) - the other part is
I have too many progs and peripherals which are doze only (including my
laser printer) to switch.  One day, I will switch, probably when I
absolutely have to, because right now, I can work quicker in doze than
in a Linux UI - its got an awful lot to do with the OS and Application
keyboard shortcuts.  Its the other way round on the command line
though!  What I need is something to shove me in the right direction -
like Vista taking away all my rights......

Richie