[Sussex] Announcing Mosh...

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Dec 1 23:13:50 UTC 2006

Dave Phelan wrote:
> Richie,
>
> On 12/1/06, Richie Jarvis <richie at helkit.com> wrote:
>> I've finally put pen-to-paper (fingers-to-keys, whatever) to get my Wifi
>> Mesh software up and cooking!  Check it out http://www.helkit.com/mosh/
>
> Cool! Good stuff!
>
>> Any ideas/comments/offers of help welcomed...
>
> First thing: Do you need a *mesh* routing protocol? More specifically,
> do you need a routing protocol designed for ad-hoc networks? I suspect
> all your nodes are fixed, and will generally be seeing the same
> neighbours for long stretches of time. That looks very much like a
> fixed network to me. Granted, it's probably not going to look like a
> typical LAN or WAN at first approximation, since you'll have clouds of
> LAN, and hopefully overlap,  but once you layer a WDS environment over
> the top, it starts to look pretty much like a bridged LAN between
> nodes, and then either routing or bridging from the LAN clouds to the
> intra-node LAN.
>
> You want a routing protocol that will handle multiple default routes
> (I assume that typically more than one node in a group has an uplink
> to the big internet), and route traffic to the nearest uplink for some
> definition of near.
>
> I'd strongly recommend looking to OSPF or RIPv2 for your routing
> protocol, unless you can clearly see a need for an ad-hoc routing
> protocol. piertopier.net went for OSPF running under quagga on pebble
> linux (for intel) and on openWRT (for the linksys WRT54G)
>
> We've also beaten chilispot into submission. It's way better than
> NoCatSplash, but you need a backend radius, and ideally an SQL
> database so you can easily register/add users.
>
> Maybe some of our docs might help:
> http://wiki.piertopier.net/index.php/Technical
>
> Or even have a look at the piertopier.net customisations to pebble and
> openwrt as a starting point: http://www.piertopier.net/downloads.php
>
> Good luck! If I can be of any assistance, give me a shout.
>
> Dave Ph

Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking it over - would very much appreciate yours and
Pier-to-Pier's help with this endeavour.

You know - you've hit the nail on the head.  We've had huge problems
with ad-hoc networking - especially in enclosed areas with plenty of
signal bounce, with 7 nodes in the vicinity - it REALLY kills the MeshAP
box when you do that.  Hmm - something more to think about.  So OSPF
will do this for us? nice....

Chillispot sounds great - we've been looking @ running our own RADIUS
for a while now...

Thanks for the advice,